Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Clock

This is Big R.


Big R is loving, energetic and a bit on the defiant side.

Right now, Big R is my Challenge.

It seems that Big R wants to wake up, every morning, at 5:46 a.m. He is very consistent with this, which I'm sure is the source of some hidden talent that we will discover later, but right now this trait need to be buried. Buried deep.

Big R is also smart (and did I mention a little defiant). Big R knows his numbers. So, we buy Big R an alarm clock.

We set this clock a half hour behind and explain to Big R that when the first number says "6" he can get out of bed.

This way it's really "6:30", but all he has to worry about is that first number, which won't change for a whole hour. We don't tell Big R this part.

I know what you're thinking. 6:30 is still way too early, but right now it's a lot better than 5:46 and I'm picking my battles...

Oh, I almost forgot. We also told Big R that if he got up before 6, he would lose games for a whole day. Which is ironic because he hardly plays any games, but losing them is a fate worse then death. Hey, whatever works.

The first night I'm pumped. I KNOW this is going to work. I'm already starting to pat myself on the back. Big R is smart, remember??

** 5:46 a.m. **
Big R is at my bedside: "Mom, can I get up?"
Mom: (big groan and I hear Bryan chuckle) "Big R, does your clock say 6?"
Big R: "No"
Mom: "Then why are you up?"
Big R: a pause, "Do I lose games?"

Did I mention Big R is smart and a tad on the defiant side??

I'll have you know I stuck to my guns - even amidst the melt downs and pleadings. (Sometimes it's a good thing I don't really have any guns.)

It took two whole days of no games, but I'm happy to report that Big R has consistently stayed in his bed until "6" for two weeks.

Big R is still smart, loving, energetic - and just a little bit less defiant.

Thank goodness for small victories.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Too funny! Good job on the mind games!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Good job. You are a smart mommy.

Ashley and Dave said...

ha. love it. kins is a six thirty waker upper :( It really isnt bad for me during the week now because I am already up and gone by that time to Seminary...but on the weekends it makes me CRAZY! That is a really good idea though, maybe we should do that....for 7:)

Carolee said...

this getting up early thing is from your side of the family, I guarantee it!! at least you can work the system a little a get an extra half hour out of it. sorry:-)

Tara said...

I have one who is defiant too, so this just made me laugh. But luckily he will sleep in until around 7 if I let him. Most days I have to wake him at 6:30 to get to work in time though. He still won't do a thing I say. I should try taking away his hulk action figure. He calls it his "Hulky". He loves that thing.

Jennifer said...

Big R is one handsome boy. He is getting so big and I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one that has a son that is a bit defiant. Actually I have two of them. But don't worry the 18 year old has mellowed with age and I can see some light at the end of his tunnel. You and Bryan are good parents and as long as you're smart enough to out smart your kids you'll be fine!!!

Packrat said...

Between this and the picture of Peanut, I have had some great laughs. Thank you.

Yes, that one early rising defiant child can sure test your patience. I had one, also. Thank you, she is no longer living at home, but she has a cell phone...